Version: OpenLieroX 0.59 beta11
Korbotronix
WH40K 0.13 & 100lt
IP: 37.187.73.117
Game Mode: Death Match
Max Kills: 15
Version: OpenLieroX 0.58 rc3
Pages: [1]
Topic: Liero Xtreme 2 Alpha Release &(Read 14650 times)
on: December 08, :12 am »
Hi all,A very long, drawn out delay on this release. But i've finally put together the first alpha version of Liero Xtreme 2.Windows: Mac: Coming SoonRelease Info:A few features has been disabled from the release, including some game modes. The game mode available is free-for-all, a deathmatch type mode where people can join at anytime.The purpose of the alpha is really to test out the networking and stability and get that rock solid first.The next major versions will have more game modes re-introduced.A master server is up & running. I'll be looking to setup a couple dedicated game servers soon.
« Reply #1 on: December 08, :41 pm »
I love you Jason! I'll keep this short so I can play quicker!!!!Edit after playing: I know you were mainly focusing on the network side of things, but here's just a few things I got from the short time I played it (there were no one online, COME ONLINE PEOPLE).Add strafe! That is the ability to move backwards whilst aiming forwards by the use of holding a key down looking in one direction and then moving in the opposite direction.Faster aiming! We really need the option to change our aimspeed. Most players over at OpenLieroX play with high sensitivity on for fast gameplay.On that note, I noticed smooth aiming, which is pretty bad when you're trying to aim at someone and it slides over them.I guess it is possible to easily change this in a texture pack, but the aim GUI is quite large and kind of gets in the way at times.Button to enter/exit full screen? I found even when I selected 'full screen' in options, I had to restart the game for it to take effect .Any chance of an IRC chat? It's kinda pointless but it's nice to be able to talk to people outside your server.[li]BUG: If I Alt-Tab or Windows out of the game, my cursor gets stuck at the top right of the screen. Previously, in LieroX, if I tab out, my mouse sometimes glitches to that position, or (if in windowed mode), my mouse will get stuck in the position it was in when I tabbed out. Easily fixed, but annoyingly, in order to use anything else other than LX2, I must close the game .[/li][/list]Thanks, and good luck! Looking forward to the outcome of your work! .
« Last Edit: December 08, :44 pm by BlueTiger »
« Reply #2 on: December 08, :42 pm »
On that note, I noticed smooth aiming, which is pretty bad when you're trying to aim at someone and it slides over them.Please someone correct if I'm wrong, but as far as I remember, aim movement was originally smoother in LX until it was changed for OLX-version-something. There's an option in OLX that sets aim parameters as they were back then.&Strafe& was also added into OLX, old LX versions (and original Liero) didn't have it.To JasonB: This may sound dumb but are the security problems (listed in CVEdetails) fixed now? That's especially important for dedicated servers.edit:===========================Ok, some quick notes:-Server hosting doesn't work properly, the server starts and you can hear bot sounds but the local client doesn't connect or something edit: Nothing, it seems to work now...-There's something wrong with memory management - tried to host, memory usage was 400MB, cancelled and tried again -& 800MB, again -& over 1GB -& once again -& crash-Dedicated server mode works however joining from the same computer is glitchy-Some random crashes when joining server-Message Of The Day is not displayed properly even though it is recognized by the game - a transparent window appears when someone joins the server. (Create &motd.txt& file to the config directory to use it.)
« Last Edit: December 08, :45 pm by Kurko »
« Reply #3 on: December 08, :40 pm »
On that note, I noticed smooth aiming, which is pretty bad when you're trying to aim at someone and it slides over them.Please someone correct if I'm wrong, but as far as I remember, aim movement was originally smoother in LX until it was changed for OLX-version-something. There's an option in OLX that sets aim parameters as they were back then.&Strafe& was also added into OLX, old LX versions (and original Liero) didn't have it.I never said they were like that before, but a lot of people prefer them being in the game. I mean, I'm not saying &CHANGE THIS NOW!& but I'm doubtful I, and some others, will ever played LX2 competitively, and will probably stick to OLX. That will half the already failing community .
« Reply #4 on: December 09, :46 am »
A few things I noticed playing single player:There seems to be some sort of flicked in the middle of the level that is noticable when you go fast up and down. The avatar also keeps shaking for some reason making it hard to play without starting to feel sick.
26 Mars 2007Belle: woah, is that a neatly snuck in sexproposition? Could I ask you to take of your pants?
« Reply #5 on: December 09, :01 am »
Thanks for the feedback. Keep it coming.If there are any issues with crashing, hanging, etc can you please let me know some of the details (local/join/host, level, mod, etc)To JasonB: This may sound dumb but are the security problems (listed in CVEdetails) fixed now? That's especially important for dedicated servers.Got a link? I'll check it out. LX2's core is significantly different, so hopefully i've fixed some of the security issues like string formats & buffer overflows.There seems to be some sort of flicked in the middle of the level that is noticable when you go fast up and down. The avatar also keeps shaking for some reason making it hard to play without starting to feel sick.I'll check it out. The level seam might be due to the level broken into tiles.Does the avatar always flicker in local games for you?Strafing / AimingI'm really keen to keep things standardised as far as the core game. If strafing and/or different aiming is used by the majority of people, i'll go with that.
« Reply #6 on: December 09, :40 am »
Mac: Coming SoonGood job Jason, can't wait!
« Reply #7 on: December 09, :25 am »
To JasonB: This may sound dumb but are the security problems (listed in CVEdetails) fixed now? That's especially important for dedicated servers.Got a link? I'll check it out. LX2's core is significantly different, so hopefully i've fixed some of the security issues like string formats & buffer overflows.That doesn't affect OLX, only 0.62b and earlier (LX2 is based on 0.62?). I did a quick test and at least the string format issue (the &%n%n%n trick&) seems to be gone.
« Last Edit: December 09, :41 am by Kurko »
« Reply #8 on: December 09, :42 am »
That doesn't affect OLX, only 0.62b and earlier (LX2 is based on 0.62?). I did a quick test and at least the string format issue (the &%n%n%n trick&) seems to be gone.Interesting, thanks for that. I'll double check the specific exploits.I do remember specifically going through fixing all string formats though.
« Reply #9 on: December 09, :31 pm »
&-There's something wrong with memory management&I had this problem too. I was running this via Wine though, and it could be somethingrelated to Wine, but if Kurko had this too with Windows, i think, it seems not to beWine's problem, or only my problem. I ran it few times and it ended using way too much my memory. At some point it was 700MB, and i had to kill that progress. I have only 2GB RAM, so that was huge amount.&Mac: Coming Soon&Linux: Coming Never?
« Reply #10 on: December 09, :40 pm »
I'll check it out. The level seam might be due to the level broken into tiles.Does the avatar always flicker in local games for you?Tried it again today, and the flicker is still there. There doesn't seem to be any flicker when I stand still. But once I start moving reasonably fast, the flicker gets noticable. Running this on Windows 7 x64 AMD Radeon 5870 if that makes a difference.
26 Mars 2007Belle: woah, is that a neatly snuck in sexproposition? Could I ask you to take of your pants?
« Reply #11 on: December 09, :30 pm »
I tried it while hosting (standard mode) and wasn't utterly enthusiastic yet.- It shakes for me as well, whenever I move.- It flips when I go to the player profile menu. It takes it ages to even calculate my mouse movement, as though it takes up all my CPU power.- I can't change my aim while I change my weapon- I can't aim properly (it keeps adjusting aim after I've released the button)- My favourite weapon (napalm in classic) doesn't instakill anymore Also, if you want people to play this then maybe you should add some of the things that make OLX just that little bit more comfortable than LX, like changing options from the in-game menu, chat and such.
« Reply #12 on: December 10, :43 am »
The flickering seems very similar to the originally released LX source. If you re-used some of that code, there was a problem with the way the worm was snapped to the 2x bigger pixel grid of the level. I don't remember the exact cause, I could dig it if needed.Otherwise it seems pretty solid given it is an alpha version. Good work Btw, is the source available for viewing anywhere?&
« Reply #13 on: December 10, :09 am »
The flickering seems very similar to the originally released LX source. If you re-used some of that code, there was a problem with the way the worm was snapped to the 2x bigger pixel grid of the level. I don't remember the exact cause, I could dig it if needed.Otherwise it seems pretty solid given it is an alpha version. Good work Btw, is the source available for viewing anywhere?& If you had a snippet of code with the fix (or even the gist of it) that would be much appreciated. I'll have a look into that bit though. That code is most likely from original LX.Edit: Removed the '% 2' lines of code & seems to have fixed the flickering which makes sense. Is this the same as the OLX fix?It's closed source. The UI was built & used for Cortex Command, so i had an agreement to keep it closed. Although Cortex Command is kind of dead these days, so we'll see.&Mac: Coming Soon&Linux: Coming Never?Coming Later The game should compile on linux without too much issue. It's just the prep/release on mac & linux that is holding things up. If anyone has experience with that PM me.
« Last Edit: December 11, :56 am by JasonB »
« Reply #14 on: December 12, :54 pm »
I don't remember exactly the OLX fix. Do you still have the original LX source zip anywhere? I would compare it to the first revision of OLX and tell you what exactly it was.If you have a compilable Linux version, I might be able to run it on our dedicated server machine (Located in Europe). It's down right now as someone hacked it but I'll make it work again throughout Xmas.
« Reply #15 on: December 14, :08 pm »
Congrats JasonB! I'll test that game
« Reply #16 on: December 15, :03 am »
This seems promising if the network has been upgraded. Sadly since no one from europe or another country is online hosting (I am Canadian) it makes it hard to give the game a solid evaluation. The general GUI graphics need an update imo too. Besides that it looks great to me.Do you have any plans to launch the game's popularity? At the current time it seems like not many people here are enough to support a gaming community (though better than maybe last year). Some fresh faces would be good. Maybe a partnership with another gaming forum like with the original LX and the GU?
« Last Edit: December 15, :41 am by Ahmed »
Learning about chemistry all day is more fun than anything... sorry LieroX.
« Reply #17 on: December 25, :20 pm »
Some pics of memory usage...Start LX2, then start a local game with 3 bots:End that game and start another, again with 3 bots:CPU usage is quite high too when the window is open but it stays slightly below 100% (note: this computer is old) and the game seems to run quite smoothly. When the game window is minimized CPU usage drops to almost zero.Dedicated mode didn't work under Wine, it gave an error popup saying &Unable to open Windows console&. Normal mode almost worked (crashed) but the test computer is super sloooow and old so there's no point in playing on it. The in-game console types every character twice: Once when you press the key and again when you release it.
« Last Edit: December 25, :07 pm by Kurko »
« Reply #18 on: January 04, :33 pm »
Dear Developers,thanks for your time u using to invent LX2. I think many are totally interested in the new modifications and new options or imprved old ones. But one thing i have to add:In my eyes it is senseless to announce that LX2 will be released to a special date, but at the end took about 1 or 2 years more than this. Be realistic.I know developing takes so much time. And we are grateful. U are theee mastersss We await LX2- Jason and Co .
Emma Watson &333
« Reply #19 on: May 21, :20 am »
Nice work.Adding more variables to mapmaking would, in my opionion, be a huge step in making the game more viable with just a small effort.The three colors in the material file could easily be 5.+1 color for choosing areas where you CAN spawnThis would open up to make alot more dynamic maps. Also the option to choose spawnarea in the reference of teamcolor for TDM would be good.+1 color for &air& or background, with the difference that it is shown in the foreground of the worm/skin.This would open up for different kind of styles, and i?m sure it wont be abused for camping since ppl simply wouldnt play maps that are overusing this. I think this possibility would make the game look better without adding anything to the graphical interface, the feel would be more threedimensional then flat as it is now.This should'nt be a too huge deal in coding. Though adding one color for waterphysics would be huge, but fun.Perhaps you had these thoughts already?
« Last Edit: May 21, :17 am by Kemp »
Old killer is hunting you down!
Pages: [1]
if (typeof(window.XMLHttpRequest) != "undefined")
var oQuickModify = new QuickModify({
sScriptUrl: 'http://www.openlierox.net/forum/index.php' + '',
bShowModify: true,
iTopicId: 15576,
sTemplateBodyEdit: '\n\t\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t\t%body%\n\t\t\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t\t\t&&\n\t\t\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t',
sTemplateSubjectEdit: '',
sTemplateBodyNormal: '%body%',
sTemplateSubjectNormal: 'OpenLieroX
Based on Liero gameplay, OpenLierox is an extremely addictive realtime worms shoot-em-up backed by an active gamers community. Dozens of levels and mods are available to provide endless gaming pleasure.
Game submitted by JackeLee (thanks!)
Similar linux games
Social recommendationsFrom Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This article needs additional citations for . Please help
by . Unsourced material may be challenged and removed. (October 2008) ()
Screenshot of Liero. The player is using the ninja rope to hang from a clump of dirt while shooting at the enemy with rockets.
Liero is a
for , first released by
programmer Joosa Riekkinen in 1998. The game has been described as a
version of
(a turn-based ). Liero is
and is pronounced . Inspired itself by the earlier game MoleZ, Liero provided inspiration for the later game .
In Liero, two worms fight each other to death for score (or ) using a choice of five weapons from a total of 40 in a two-dimensional map. Most of the terrain, except for indestructible rocks, may be dug or destroyed by explosions. In addition to the weaponry, each player has a ninja rope which can be used to move faster through the map. This grappling hook-like device substitutes for jetpacks and can even latch onto the enemy worm to drag him closer to his foe.
While playing, there are health power-ups to heal your worm. It is also possible to replace one of your five weapons by picking up bonuses. Before playing, you can select certain weapons to be available only in bonuses, in the entire game, or completely disabled.
Unlike most side-scrolling deathmatch games, the weapons in Liero have infinite ammo. Key factors include the reload rate of each weapon and how fast they shoot, whereas in most others include how much ammo a gun sports and how frequent more ammo for that gun can be found. Liero depends all on timing and swift maneuverability.
The gameplay mode can be , Game of Tag or . It can be played by two human players simultaneously in
or in a single player mode against the game's , although the game's popularity is derived mostly from the fast-paced player-vs.-player action it provides.
Joosa Riekkinen developed Liero as DOS game with the first version released in 1998. Liero was inspired by the previous
game MoleZ, and took many weapons and sounds from its precursor. The original Liero's latest version was 1.33, which was released in 1999. However, the author lost the
crash, and due to the lack of backup, no new "classic" versions have been released since.
Despite this, and with the author's approval, the Liero community has distributed several altered (or ) versions of the game through the LieroCDC, and others.
In 2009, "classic" Liero was officially merged with the OpenLiero project upon the release of Liero 1.34 (not to be confused with the
by that name). The new versions are released by Gliptic, although Joosa Riekkinen endorses them as official. The original Liero data and binary files by Joosa Riekkinen were released available under the
Liero's last release was version 1.36, release September 3, 2013. This version is compatible with almost any OS but lacks network gaming (unlike some of the remakes).
Liero Xtreme[]
Liero Xtreme (often called LieroX, Liero Extreme or just LX) is a
. It is an unofficial sequel to Liero, and is the most popular of all the Liero clones. It features , fully customizable weapons, levels and characters. Liero Xtreme was created in
by Jason 'JasonB' Boettcher, an
programmer. With its source release on April 10, 2006, a new project has become available on October 24, 2006, known as OpenLieroX, while the development of the original LieroX project has stopped. At the time of writing (May 6, 2009), OpenLieroX has tripled in code size and has many new features.
The game is based on a
setting, where multiple players face off in a closed . Each player is equipped with five weapons selected out of all the weapons allowed, and with a ninja rope that allows the player to move in any direction. Players begin with a set amount of lives, and whilst the game records the number of kills, the
is usually considered the winner. Liero Xtreme also allows team deathmatches, which has made it common for players to form . OpenLieroX runs on Windows, on MacOSX, on Linux and on FreeBSD.
The first release announcement of Liero Extreme was made on October 14, 2002. LieroX has become very famous over the time. On February 14, 2006, Jason Boettcher stopped the LieroX development for good. The last version he released was 0.62b, which had many new features, but suffered from crashes and various errors, and did not catch on within the community which continues to play the 0.56b version. Before leaving the community, he released the
of the even older version 0.55b under the . Development of LieroXtreme is now in hands of Karel Petranek and Albert Zeyer, used the source code to create OpenLieroX, which is compatible with the popular 0.56b version, but has multiple new features and bugfixes. Micha? Futer took care of the new frontend. Currently the majority of players play OpenLieroX.
As a customizable game, it allows players and developers to
their own . Different mods have different sets of unique weapons, and may also differ in player gravity and movement. The default mod is Liero 1.0, also called Classic, which is roughly equal to the basic setting in original Liero. On top of this, several player-created mods are included in the standard game packs, some of which are more popular than the default setting. Similarly to Liero, the default level is Dirt Level, consisting of diggable terrain with some indestructible rock. The default level is comparatively rarely played compared to more complex player-created levels.
The game interface allow players to modify factors of the game such as which weapons in a mod are allowed, and how fast they reload and many other parameters which have huge impact on the game play.
Screenshot of NiL
NiL ( for NiL Isn't Liero) is a
of Liero, which runs on
and is released under the terms of the . NiL is not limited to two players, like the original Liero is. It has support for an infinite[] number of players over a
network. It was met with considerable enthusiasm in the Linux gaming community.
The project was initiated by Flemming Frandsen in winter
after he had stumbled across Liero, which he liked so much that he decided to reimplement it under . He abandoned the project five months later, due to being too busy for it. NiL was dead until the beginning of
when Christoph Brill, found out about the project and took over as maintainer. Thereafter Daniel Schneidereit joined the project as well, but soon left. Other contributors included Nils Thuerey, Harri Liusvaara, David Hewitt and Phil Howlett.
Development proceeded slowly as the project's
became almost unmaintainable and NiL was lacking developers. By mid-2005 Alexander Kahl joined development, convinced Christoph to start over and re-think the whole concept of NiL, as the other Liero clone Gusanos already existed at that time. Development seems to have stopped around mid-2006.[]
OpenLieroX is a remake of classic Liero, built from scratch in a new engine. It adds many features to the game, such as modding support, custom sprites, maps, and weapons, and online and lan play. The game also supports more than two players at once.
Liero is a versatile game in terms of modification. All of its 40 weapons can be completely replaced with new ones that can be given different images and
from the original set. The images of the worms themselves can be transformed into completely different characters, although their movement animations are less flexible regarding modification. The maps can be given permanent terrain other than rocks alone. Destroyable terrain can also be colored more than simply plain dirt. The AI can be modified to be harder or easier. Nearly the whole game can be converted into something entirely different, except for the main aspect having to do with slaughtering another player/AI.
In 2006 Liero received a TopDog award from . OpenLieroX has been positively reviewed by multiple gaming news sites. In 2013 's webpage TIGSource reviewed Liero v1.36 favorably.
The Liero variants NiL, Gusanos, and OpenLieroX were downloaded multiple hundred thousand times from
alone between 2001 and 2016.
March 24, 2007, at the .
January 21, 2009, at the .
March 26, 2007, at the .
See the changes.txt file in Liero 1.34 or newer.
on www.liero.be "The original Liero data and binary files are copyright 1998 Joosa Riekkinen They are, unless otherwise stated, available under the WTFPL license:
The LIERO.EXE binary contains the SMIX sound library:
The author of SMIX has stated that it is available under a BSD-3-Clause license, with a request for donations for use in commercial products. LIERO.SND contains sounds from Molez:
Molez is freeware and freely distributable."
on TIGsource.com ()
James Murff. . Big Download. Game Daily.
. LANThrax.
by Lee Anderson, April 12, 2000,
on tigsource.com
on Sourceforge.net
on Sourceforge.net
- Created by fans, endorsed by Joosa Riekkinen
(obsoleted by Liero 1.34)
(spiritual precursor to Liero)
: Hidden categories:}

我要回帖