?4,895,418
?4,776,526
?3,836,490
?3,692,059
?2,277,795
?1,808,591
?1,599,428
?1,533,334
?1,421,968BARBARA KLEIN: And I’m Barbara Klein with PEOPLE IN AMERICA in VOA Special English.
Today we tell about Wilma Rudolph, the first American woman to win three gold medals in one Olympics.
STEVE EMBER: They called her “the Black Pearl,” “the Black Gazelle” and “the fastest woman in the world.”
In nineteen sixty, Wilma Rudolph became the first American woman to win three gold medals in one Olympics.
She was an extraordinary American athlete.
She also did a lot to help young athletes succeed.
Wilma Rudolph was born in nineteen forty, in Saint Bethlehem, Tennessee.
She was born too early and only weighed two kilograms.
She had many illnesses when she was very young, including pneumonia and scarlet fever.
She also had polio, which damaged her left leg.
When she was six years old, she began to wear metal leg braces because she could not use that leg.
BARBARA KLEIN: Wilma Rudolph was born into a very large, poor, African-American family.
She was the twentieth of twenty-two children.
Since she was sick most of the time, her brothers and sisters all helped to take care of her.
They took turns rubbing her crippled leg every night.
They also made sure she did not try to take off her leg braces.
Every week, Wilma’s mother drove her to a special doctor eighty kilometers away.
Here, she got physical treatments to help heal her leg.
She later said: “My doctors told me I would never walk again.
My mother told me I would.
I believed my mother.”
STEVE EMBER: Soon, her family’s attention and care showed results.
By the time she was nine years old, she no longer needed her leg braces.
Wilma was very happy, because she could now run and play like other children.
When she was eleven years old, her brothers set up a basketball hoop in the backyard.
After that, she played basketball every day.
As a teenager, Wilma joined the girl’s basketball team at Burt High School.
C.C. Gray was the coach who supervised the team.
He gave her the nickname “Skeeter.”
She did very well in high school basketball.
She once scored forty-nine points in one game, which broke the Tennessee state record.
Many people noted that Wilma was a very good basketball player and a very good athlete.
One of these people was Ed Temple, who coached the track team of runners at Tennessee State University.
Ed Temple asked C.C. Gray to organize a girl’s track team at the high school.
He thought Wilma Rudolph would make a very good runner.
She did very well on the new track team.
BARBARA KLEIN: Wilma Rudolph went to her first Olympic Games when she was sixteen years old and still in high school.
She competed in the nineteen fifty-six games in Melbourne, Australia.
She was the youngest member of the United States team.
She won a bronze medal, or third place, in the sprint relay event.
In nineteen fifty-seven, Wilma Rudolph entered Tennessee State University, where she joined the track team.
The coach, Ed Temple, worked very hard for the girls on the team.
He drove them to track competitions and made improvements to the running track with his own money.
However, he was not an easy coach.
For example, he would make the members of the team run one extra time around the track for every minute they were late to practice.
Wilma Rudolph trained hard while in college.
She did very well at her track competitions against teams from other colleges.
In nineteen sixty, she set the world record for the fastest time in the two thousand meter event.
She said: “I ran and ran and ran every day, and I acquired this sense of determination, this sense of spirit that I would never, never give up, no matter what else happened.”
STEVE EMBER: That same year, Wilma Rudolph went to the Olympics again, this time in Rome, Italy.
She won two gold medals -- first place -- in the one hundred meter and the two hundred meter races.
She set a new Olympic record of twenty-three point two seconds for the two hundred meter dash.
Her team also won the gold medal in the four hundred meter sprint relay event, setting a world record of forty-four point five seconds.
These three gold medals made her one of the most popular athletes at the Rome games.
These victories made people call her the “world’s fastest woman.”
(SOUND - 1960 ROME OLYMPICS)
BARBARA KLEIN: Wilma Rudolph received a lot of attention from the press and the public, but she did not forget her teammates.
She said that her favorite event was the relay, because she could share the victory with her teammates Martha Hudson, Lucinda Williams and Barbara Jones.
All four women were from Tennessee State University.
The Associated Press named Rudolph the U.S. Female Athlete of the year.
She also appeared on television many times.
Sports fans in the United States and all over the world loved and respected her.
She said: “The feeling of accomplishment welled up inside of me, three Olympic gold medals.
I knew that was something nobody could ever take away from me, ever.”
STEVE EMBER: Wilma Rudolph was a fine example for many people inside and outside the world of sports.
She supported the civil rights movement -- the struggle for equality between white and black people.
When she came home from the Olympics, she told the governor of Tennessee that she would not attend a celebration where white and black people were separated.
As a result, her homecoming parade and dinner were the first events in her hometown of Clarksville that white people and black people were able to attend together.
After she retired from sports, Wilma Rudolph completed her education at Tennessee State University.
She got her bachelor’s degree in elementary education and became a teacher.
She returned to coach the track team at Burt High School.
She also worked as a commentator for women’s track competitions on national television.
In nineteen sixty-three she married her high school boyfriend Robert Eldridge.
They had four children, but later ended their marriage.
Wilma Rudolph won many important athletic awards.
She was voted into the Black Athlete’s Hall of Fame and the United States Olympic Hall of Fame.
She was also voted into the National Track and Field Hall of Fame.
In nineteen seventy-seven, she wrote a book about her life called “Wilma.”
She wrote about her childhood problems and her athletic successes.
NBC later made the book into a movie for television.
BARBARA KLEIN: Rudolph said her greatest success was creating the Wilma Rudolph Foundation in nineteen eighty-one.
This organization helped children in local communities to become athletes.
She always wanted to help young athletes recognize how much they could succeed in their lives.
She said: “The triumph can’t be had without the struggle.
And I know what struggle is.
I have spent a lifetime trying to share what it has meant to be a woman first in the world of sports so that other young women have a chance to reach their dreams.”
Rudolph also influenced many athletes.
One of them was another African American runner, Florence Griffith Joyner.
In nineteen eighty-eight, Griffith Joyner became the second American woman to win three gold medals in one Olympics.
She went on to win a total of six Olympic medals.
Wilma Rudolph was very happy to see other African American female athletes succeed.
She said: “I thought I’d never get to see that. Florence Griffith Joyner – every time she ran, I ran.”
STEVE EMBER: Wilma Rudolph died of brain cancer in nineteen ninety-four in Nashville, Tennessee.
She was fifty-four years old.
She influenced athletes, African Americans and women around the world.
She was an important example of how anyone can overcome barriers and make their dreams come true.
Her nineteen sixty Olympics teammate, Bill Mulliken, said: "S she was nice, and she was the best."
BARBARA KLEIN: This program was written by Erin Braswell and produced by Caty Weaver.
I’m Barbara Klein.
STEVE EMBER: And I’m Steve Ember.
You can learn more about famous Americans at our Web site, .
Join us again next week for PEOPLE IN AMERICA in VOA Special English.
Wilma Rudolph():世界上跑的最快的女人
Wilma Rudolph, : ’The Fastest Woman in the World’
双击原文单词查看解释
STEVE EMBER: I’m Steve Ember.
BARBARA KLEIN: And I’m Barbara Klein with PEOPLE IN AMERICA in VOA Special English. Today we tell about Wilma Rudolph, the first American woman to win three gold medals in one Olympics.
STEVE EMBER: They called her “the Black Pearl,” “the Black Gazelle” and “the fastest woman in the world.”
In nineteen sixty, Wilma Rudolph became the first American woman to win three gold medals in one Olympics. She was an extraordinary American athlete. She also did a lot to help young athletes succeed.
Wilma Rudolph was born in nineteen forty, in Saint Bethlehem, Tennessee. She was born too early and only weighed two kilograms. She had many illnesses when she was very young, including pneumonia and scarlet fever. She also had polio, which damaged her left leg. When she was six years old, she began to wear metal leg braces because she could not use that leg.
BARBARA KLEIN: Wilma Rudolph was born into a very large, poor, African-American family. She was the twentieth of twenty-two children. Since she was sick most of the time, her brothers and sisters all helped to take care of her. They took turns rubbing her crippled leg every night. They also made sure she did not try to take off her leg braces.
Every week, Wilma’s mother drove her to a special doctor eighty kilometers away. Here, she got physical treatments to help heal her leg.
She later said: “My doctors told me I would never walk again. My mother told me I would. I believed my mother.”
STEVE EMBER: Soon, her family’s attention and care showed results. By the time she was nine years old, she no longer needed her leg braces. Wilma was very happy, because she could now run and play like other children. When she was eleven years old, her brothers set up a basketball hoop in the backyard. After that, she played basketball every day.
As a teenager, Wilma joined the girl’s basketball team at Burt High School. C.C. Gray was the coach who supervised the team. He gave her the nickname “Skeeter.” She did very well in high school basketball. She once scored forty-nine points in one game, which broke the Tennessee state record.
Many people noted that Wilma was a very good basketball player and a very good athlete. One of these people was Ed Temple, who coached the track team of runners at Tennessee State University. Ed Temple asked C.C. Gray to organize a girl’s track team at the high school. He thought Wilma Rudolph would make a very good runner. She did very well on the new track team.
BARBARA KLEIN: Wilma Rudolph went to her first Olympic Games when she was sixteen years old and still in high school. She competed in the nineteen fifty-six games in Melbourne, Australia. She was the youngest member of the United States team. She won a bronze medal, or third place, in the sprint relay event.
In nineteen fifty-seven, Wilma Rudolph entered Tennessee State University, where she joined the track team. The coach, Ed Temple, worked very hard for the girls on the team. He drove them to track competitions and made improvements to the running track with his own money. However, he was not an easy coach. For example, he would make the members of the team run one extra time around the track for every minute they were late to practice.
Wilma Rudolph trained hard while in college. She did very well at her track competitions against teams from other colleges. In nineteen sixty, she set the world record for the fastest time in the two thousand meter event.
She said: “I ran and ran and ran every day, and I acquired this sense of determination, this sense of spirit that I would never, never give up, no matter what else happened.”
STEVE EMBER: That same year, Wilma Rudolph went to the Olympics again, this time in Rome, Italy. She won two gold medals -- first place -- in the one hundred meter and the two hundred meter races. She set a new Olympic record of twenty-three point two seconds for the two hundred meter dash.
Her team also won the gold medal in the four hundred meter sprint relay event, setting a world record of forty-four point five seconds. These three gold medals made her one of the most popular athletes at the Rome games. These victories made people call her the “world’s fastest woman.”
(SOUND - 1960 ROME OLYMPICS)
BARBARA KLEIN: Wilma Rudolph received a lot of attention from the press and the public, but she did not forget her teammates.
She said that her favorite event was the relay, because she could share the victory with her teammates Martha Hudson, Lucinda Williams and Barbara Jones. All four women were from Tennessee State University.
The Associated Press named Rudolph the U.S. Female Athlete of the year. She also appeared on television many times. Sports fans in the United States and all over the world loved and respected her.
She said: “The feeling of accomplishment welled up inside of me, three Olympic gold medals. I knew that was something nobody could ever take away from me, ever.”
STEVE EMBER: Wilma Rudolph was a fine example for many people inside and outside the world of sports. She supported the civil rights movement -- the struggle for equality between white and black people. When she came home from the Olympics, she told the governor of Tennessee that she would not attend a celebration where white and black people were separated. As a result, her homecoming parade and dinner were the first events in her hometown of Clarksville that white people and black people were able to attend together.
After she retired from sports, Wilma Rudolph completed her education at Tennessee State University. She got her bachelor’s degree in elementary education and became a teacher. She returned to coach the track team at Burt High School. She also worked as a commentator for women’s track competitions on national television. In nineteen sixty-three she married her high school boyfriend Robert Eldridge.
They had four children, but later ended their marriage.
Wilma Rudolph won many important athletic awards. She was voted into the Black Athlete’s Hall of Fame and the United States Olympic Hall of Fame. She was also voted into the National Track and Field Hall of Fame.
In nineteen seventy-seven, she wrote a book about her life called “Wilma.”
She wrote about her childhood problems and her athletic successes. NBC later made the book into a movie for television.
BARBARA KLEIN: Rudolph said her greatest success was creating the Wilma Rudolph Foundation in nineteen eighty-one. This organization helped children in local communities to become athletes. She always wanted to help young athletes recognize how much they could succeed in their lives.
She said: “The triumph can’t be had without the struggle. And I know what struggle is. I have spent a lifetime trying to share what it has meant to be a woman first in the world of sports so that other young women have a chance to reach their dreams.”
Rudolph also influenced many athletes. One of them was another African American runner, Florence Griffith Joyner. In nineteen eighty-eight, Griffith Joyner became the second American woman to win three gold medals in one Olympics.
She went on to win a total of six Olympic medals. Wilma Rudolph was very happy to see other African American female athletes succeed. She said: “I thought I’d never get to see that. Florence Griffith Joyner – every time she ran, I ran.”
STEVE EMBER: Wilma Rudolph died of brain cancer in nineteen ninety-four in Nashville, Tennessee. She was fifty-four years old. She influenced athletes, African Americans and women around the world. She was an important example of how anyone can overcome barriers and make their dreams come true.
Her nineteen sixty Olympics teammate, Bill Mulliken, said: "S she was nice, and she was the best."
BARBARA KLEIN: This program was written by Erin Braswell and produced by Caty Weaver.
I’m Barbara Klein.
STEVE EMBER: And I’m Steve Ember. You can learn more about famous Americans at our Web site, .
Join us again next week for PEOPLE IN AMERICA in VOA Special English.
80万次下载
75万次下载
73万次下载
70万次下载
我的生词本
爱语吧网站
爱语吧 (京ICP备号)CopyRight (C)
,All rights reserved男子忆滑坡瞬间抱女逃命:这辈子跑最快一次
&&&&来源:&&&&
原标题:男子忆滑坡瞬间抱女逃命:这辈子跑最快一次  新华网深圳12月23日电 (记者孙晓铮冯启迪李建国)王永权这辈子跑得最快的一次,是抱着女儿逃命。   仿佛在跟时间赛跑,身后追赶的泥浆倾泻而下,“速度很快,像洪水一样,还伴有炮弹轰一样的声音,好响。”两天后,王永权在救援现场回忆滑坡发生的那一刻,眼圈通红。   20日11时40分许,广东省深圳市光明新区凤凰社区工业园发生滑坡,附近西气东输管道发生爆炸。33栋建筑物被掩埋或遭不同程度破坏,覆盖面积约38万平方米。   工业园位于深圳市郊,距机场约1个半小时车程,在此居住的多为外来务工人员。工业园与农田无明显界限,园区中掺杂着“城中村”。滑坡过后,大片厂房被粘土堆掩埋,只剩下挖掘机在不间断工作。   32岁的王永权租住的农家就在山脚下,距离滑坡点约200米。两年前他从河南老家来到深圳,和父母姐夫一起靠打工、收废品为生。   滑坡发生当天,他刚带5岁的女儿去超市买吃的回来不久,听到在院子里的父亲跟姐夫说了句“山洪来了”。   “我抬头一看,眼前的山体一下就掉来了,速度非常快,我大吼一声快跑,随后抱起女儿就冲了出去。”他说。   “我跑得快,但是抱着女儿跑了没多远就跑不动了,本想找个房子躲一躲,可我转身看到自家房子一下就被吞没了,根本躲不了,于是就又抱起女儿连滚带爬跑侧面去了。”他和女儿躲过了一劫。   “但父亲和姐夫搀扶着母亲跑在后面,没过多久就不见了。”他低声说。   因为跑太快,王永权腿部受了伤。他把女儿安顿在深圳的亲戚家,自己在医院没住满一天就返回了受灾现场。   他用手机上的地图找到房子的位置,用石灰粉标记出房子的轮廓和逃命的路线希望能够帮救援人员定位,找到被埋的亲人。   旁边,由武警、消防、志愿者等多方力量组成的4000多名救援人员正在高达近20米的土层上夜以继日地挖掘。   23日6时38分左右,首名幸存者田泽明成功获救。   一名广东消防特警和他的两只搜救犬正倒地休息。他们从事发后就一直连续工作,不想放弃任何生机。   一位姓陈的消防员说:“事故发生时是星期天,这个区域又正好停电,这是最好的消息。”因为这意味着,更多因停电没来工厂加班的人幸运躲过一劫。   “大的建筑物残骸和土方只能由挖掘机清理,有任何迹象司机就会鸣笛通知我们。”他说,“面对每一个挖掘点,我们的心情都很复杂,既希望下面有人,这样我们的努力就有了成果。更希望没有人,最好大家都跑出去了。”   截至22日,4018名救援人员使用331台工程设备在4个作业面和16个重点挖掘区域工作,附近酒店等地安置疏散群众和失联人员家属600多人。   从北京援驰的武警交通三总队副总队长陈礼锦说,从接到任务开始,救援人员就在夜以继日地抢救生还者。“生命无价,哪家人遇到这样的灾难都是悲痛的。我们与时间赛跑进行救援,也是为老百姓切实做些事。”他说,“不希望有灾难,所以还是要预防为先。”   这两年,王永权和所有居住在附近的人们都经常见到来来往往的货车将不知从何而来的工程渣土堆放到山上。他说,那里曾经是一片好大好深的采石场和可以钓鱼的湖面,从没想到过会威胁到自己和家人的生命安全。   11时40分,72小时黄金救援期结束。“还是抱有一线希望。”王永权望着远处自家的方向和依旧忙碌的挖掘机说。
善意回帖,理性发言!
恭喜你,发表成功!
请牢记你的用户名:,密码:,立即进入修改密码。
s后自动返回
5s后自动返回
恭喜你,发表成功!
5s后自动返回
最新评论热门评论
24小时排行&|&
人 民 网 版 权 所 有 ,未 经 书 面 授 权 禁 止 使 用
Copyright &
by .cn all rights reserved
人 民 网 版 权 所 有 ,未 经 书 面 授 权 禁 止 使 用
Copyright &
by .cn. all rights reserved您所在的位置:
10款加速最快的超跑 他们1秒有多贵!(组图)(1)
导读:每一位汽车迷都希望能拥有一辆跑车,外观不但要足够拉风,加速还要风驰电掣。本期Man哥就为大家推荐10款百公里加速最快的跑车,当然了这里并不包括像特斯拉那样的电动车,因为电动车在加速上有着先天的优势。此外,这10款车均为量产车型,而且大部分都是“三秒阵 营”的成员,百公里加速最慢的也才3.2秒。
  虽说时间和速度是衡量一辆跑车的两项最基本数值,但Man哥还为大家换算了百公里加速与售价之间的比例,这样可以直观的看出它们的“1秒”能有多贵。  日产GT-R  0-100KM/H加速最快的全驱车  售价:158万  提到百公里加速,当然少不了日本的国宝级跑车——日产GT-R。被不少车迷誉为“战神”的GT-R,一向以加速成绩闻名。3.8T双涡轮的发动机令 它拥有540马力,在6挡双离合变速器的配合下,成功进入了百公里加速的“三秒俱乐部”。另外它158万的售价相比其他超跑,显得非常亲民,所以也大受车 迷喜爱。  保时捷911 Turbo S  百公里加速与售价比例:约82万  百公里加速时间:3.1秒  售价:255万  保时捷911虽然一直有着严重“自然吸气”情怀,但要想让那搭载3.8L 6缸发动机的911 Targa挤进三秒阵营肯定没戏,最直接的办法就是加涡轮,不过话说加装了涡轮的911 Turbo S距离三秒阵营还是差了那么一点点。不过255万的售价与动辄上千万的超跑相比,还算平易近人。  兰博基尼 Huracan  百公里加速与售价比例:约134万  百公里加速时间:3.2秒  售价:429万  如果你觉得保时捷911 Turbo S不够纯粹,那么这头小牛非常适合你。Huracan搭载了一台5.2L 10缸发动机,最大马力610匹,比兰博基尼 Gallardo的570马力和奥迪R8的525马力都要高不少。}

我要回帖

更多关于 挪威跑步最快的女人 的文章

更多推荐

版权声明:文章内容来源于网络,版权归原作者所有,如有侵权请点击这里与我们联系,我们将及时删除。

点击添加站长微信