请输入您的手机号码,获取Kindle阅读软件的下载链接。
您现在就可以在Kindle设备上阅读
没有Kindle设备?,或者下载免费 。
出版社: Hutchinson (日)
精装: 272页
语种: 英语
15.6 x 2.5 x 24.2 cm
媒体推荐
"Unequivocally, the most brilliant mystery writer of our time. She magnificently triumphs in a style that is uniquely hers and mesmerising" (Patricia Cornwell)"Ruth Rendell is a marvel, and in the latest Inspector Wexford mystery she's on cracking form . . . The book's pacing is perfect. It starts gently as we, like Wexford, enjoy his new life of leisure. But once he puts his formidable brain to work, the violence kicks in. The result is a total page-turner - and one of Rendell's very, very best novels." (A.N. Wilson Reader's Digest)"The Vault sees Rendell for the first time marry the two genres she is master of: the psychological thriller and the police whodunit . . . With 60 novels put to page and still counting, Rendell will soon match the prolific output of Agatha Christie - who penned 66 works. It's hard to imagine where the inspiration comes from, but find it she does - and there's not a clue out of place or a shoehorned plotline in sight." (Time Out)"Ruth Rendell is bidding fair to join Defoe and Dickens in creating one of the great criminal cities of literature. Her view of London is a similar murderous topography, less squalid, but with the same tentacles reaching out between rich and poor . . . This mystery is also an enormously enjoyable panorama of London and a hymn of love to its Georgian houses . . . She, and Wexford are the sharpest modern observers of the "Great Wen"" (Independent)"The Vault, as a sort-of-sequel is a bold attempt to combine Rendell's two chosen specialties: the police procedural and the psychological thriller. No one hides the c no one else creates such a pervasive atmosphere of almost comic disgust and dread. The act of cross pollination proves most fruitful and triumphantly demonstrates that a vault, in addition to being an underground chamber, can also be a leap of imagination." (Evening Standard)
作者简介
Ruth Rendell is the Queen of British crime writing. The author of over 50 novels, she has won many significant crime fiction awards. Her first novel, From Doon With Death, appeared in 1964, and since then her reputation and readership have grown steadily with each new book. She has received major three Edgars from the Mystery Writers of A the Crime Writers' Gold Dagger Award for 1976's best crime novel, A Demon in My View; the Arts Council National Book Award for Genre Fiction in 1981 for The Lake of Darkness; the Crime Writer's Gold Dagger Award for 1986's best crime book for Live Flesh; in 1987 the Crime Writer's Gold Dagger Award for A Fatal Inversion and in 1991 the same award for King Solomon's Carpet, both written under the pseudonym Barbara V the Sunday Times Literary Award in 1990; and in 1991 the Crime Writer's Cartier Diamond Award for outstanding contribution to the crime fiction genre. Her books are translated into 21 languages. In 1996 she was awarded the CBE and in 1997 became a Life Peer.
04 星03 星02 星01 星0与其他买家分享您的想法
5.0 颗星,最多 5 颗星A FIVE STAR READ!留言者Camille -
已在美国亚马逊上发表已确认购买Although this novel was quite long and detailed, I loved it. This novel was an exacting police procedural whose characters were very vital and moving. The plot was well-structured and polished. The one flaw I felt was not properly dealt with, making it a flaw, was the fact that during mid-investigation, Wexford found the Edsel stored in a car enthusiast's garage. With the vehicle information, why couldn't the police do a registration search and find the name of the previous owner 12 years ago? As the novel was set in 2009 or 2010, this kind of vehicle registration search would have been a breeze. The police would have been able to find the name of Teddy Brex's uncle Keith Brex in this manner, saving some investigative hours. Because Ms. Randell didn't include this in her novel, I consider this a flaw. After all, a police procedural novel needs to be true to life. One thing I'd like to mention is that, the reader needs to read the previous novel, "A Sight For Sore Eyes" before reading this novel. It contains the prior histories of Teddy, Keith, and Francine, and how they came to be where they were in "The Vault". I would not have enjoyed this novel as well as I did. This novel was a super-enjoyable read!
3 个人发现此评论有用.
1.0 颗星,最多 5 颗星Boring ("If such a word exists.")留言者Olivia -
已在美国亚马逊上发表已确认购买Egads this book is dull.Even though Ruth Rendell has a reputation for being one of the top mystery writers,
I'd never read any of her books. When Kindle offered The Vault for a bargain of $2.99, I jumped.
However, after four days of checking back and forth to remind myself which character was which, getting distracted by numerous editing errors
(Wex-ford, flyover, "diffidently" appearing twice on one page and much more) I finally gave up.
I realized I didn't really care who'd done it--or why.I skipped to the last ten pages and was so astonished by the ridiculous ending that I glad I hadn't bothered to read more than I had.What's wrong?
To begin with, flat characters who never come to life--and way too many secondary characters and their aliases to keep track of, not to mention a confusing timeline for a murder that happened 12 years earlier. Adding to this mess is a an irrelevant--and ugly-- subplot involving Wexford's/ Wex-ford's daughter,
and Wexford rambling down so many London street--all of which he names-- that I felt I could have been on a double-decker sightseeing bus.
Accepting the outlandish
number of coincidences --such as finding the elusive Francine as Wex-ford/Wexford walks down the wrong street--requires a more suspension of disbelief than I could muster.I found myself remembering a writing teacher I knew who advised would-be novelists to just get words down onto paper (aka:" the sh**ty first draft") and then go back and refine the piece:
flesh out the main characters, delete the unnecessary sections that don't drive the plot forward, make the whole thing cohesive and compelling through a series of re-writes.Unfortunately It seems in writing The Vault, Ruth Rendell got the "first draft" part done--and then sent it straight to print, without even a good re-reading, the helping hand of a good editor and good eyes of a proofreader.
Okay, I'm in the minority here, since most of the other reviewers here loved this, but really, the only good thing I can say is it was only cost $3...and since The Vault worked pretty well as a sleep aid, all was not lost.5.0 颗星,最多 5 颗星Ruth Rendall at her best留言者nrussell -
已在美国亚马逊上发表已确认购买Read A Sight for Sore Eyes first, as The Vault is the conclusion of that story. The Vault could be read on its own, but it will make more sense if a Sore Eyes is read first. Both books are excellent examples of Rendell's expertise at creating a complex, suspenseful stories with multi-dimensional characters. The Vault is an Inspector Wexford story, contrasting the "normalcy" of the inspector and his family against the darker side of human nature.
A Sight for Sore Eyes is a stand-alone (no continuing detective) that explores how that darker side might have been developed.
Both books are intense and thought provoking.
2 个人发现此评论有用.
4.0 颗星,最多 5 颗星Wexford's still a force after retirement留言者Patto -
已在美国亚马逊上发表已确认购买It's a new, fit Wexford we meet in this novel. As Chief Inspector, he was driven everywhere and steadily gained weight. Now that he's retired, he's walking everywhere and much thinner. He's enjoying movies, gallery visits and concerts with his wife. But still, he misses the old job.So when former colleague Tom Ede, now Detective Superintendent, asks Wexford for help he's quietly thrilled. Wexford will be an "expert advisor," unpaid of course. Expert advisors, says Tom, are all the rage these days.And poor Tom really does need Wexford. Four dead bodies have been found in a hidden cellar beneath an historic London cottage, and the police are clueless.Wexford has no authority, and he can only question people in the presence of a "real" police officer, always someone decades his junior in experience. It's interesting to watch Wexford deal with his new constraints.And as if a murder case isn't enough excitement, Wexford also has to deal with a violent drama in his own family.There are quite a few dramas going on in this book. Love, friendship, fear and hatred brew all around Wexford as he works his way into people's living rooms and learns their secrets. But perhaps my favorite character is the city of London. Ruth Rendell has a wonderful feel for the domestic architecture and ambience of the various London neighborhoods where Wexford's energetic walks carry him.Although this novel is a sequel to A Sight for Sore Eyes, I believe you can enjoy it on its own merits. I did, having forgotten most of the plot of A Sight for Sore Eyes, which I read years ago. But no doubt reading both books together will be the best experience.
查找其它相似商品
查看产品详情页面完毕后,在此处了解返回您感兴趣的页面的方式。
查看产品详情页面完毕后,在此处了解返回您感兴趣的页面的方式。扫描关注游侠网
热门资讯排行
精品手机游戏
热门游戏专题
赛车竞速RAC(英文)
动作游戏ACT(英文)
角色扮演RPG(中文)
小游戏在线玩}

我要回帖

更多关于 the vault 的文章