上古卷轴5福利性夜母 young trap 怎么用

第二版视听说4听力原文 无答案版
- 纺织学院共享资料库的日志,人人网,纺织学院共享资料库的公共主页
谷歌回来了,这里教你怎么用谷歌学术!
第二版视听说4听力原文 无答案版
从视听说网站上一点一点复制粘贴下来的,勤劳的孩子,尼玛伤不起啊!!!
来自 纺织学院郑增顺童鞋
Basic listening practice1. M: I'm beside myself with joy. I'm so lucky. Guess what? I've won a lot of money in the lottery.W: Really? Well, you do know that money is the root of all evil, right?Q: What does the woman mean?2. W: Mary was furious when her son wrecked up her car.M: He shouldn't have driven a car on his own without a driver's license. He's still taking driving lessons.Q: What do we know about Mary's son?3. M: Susan, I hear you're going to marry that guy. Maybe you'll regret it.W: Is that so? Only time will tell.Q: What does the woman imply?4. M: Mary, I just want to say how sorry I was to learn of your mother's passing. I know how close you two were.W: Thank you. It was so sudden. I'm still in a state of shock. I don't know what to do.Q: Which of the following is true?5. W: I get furious at work when my opinions aren't considered just because I'm a woman.M: You should air your views more emphatically and demand that your voice be heard.Q: What is the woman complaining about?
Listening in
What a clumsy man!Maria: Jack, can you help me move this heavy box?Jack:& No problem, Maria. Here let me lift this end... Oops!Maria: Ouch! My foot! Come on, can't you be a little more cautious?Jack:& I'm so sorry. It was an accident. No need to be furious!Maria: You're always so clumsy, Jack. I'm really losing my patience with all the stupid mistakes you make around the office.Jack:& Calm down, M I'll certainly be more careful next time. This was just an accident.Maria: If you aren't more careful, then next time someone could be badly hurt. Oh, look! The glass in the box is all broken now. Mr. Johnson is going to fly into a rage.Jack:& Oh no! What can I do to keep him from hitting the roof?Maria: Well, you can begin by helping me clean up the mess and then honestly tell him about your mistake.Jack:& Maybe if I offer to pay for the damage, he won't be so angry. What do you think?Maria: That might help solve the problem, though it could be quite expensive to replace it.Jack:& Well, I'm willing to do what it takes to keep Mr. Johnson from exploding. I need to keep my job!
Causes of depressionHello, everyone. Today I invite you to join me in an exploration of the causes of depression. There are many factors involved, but I believe some deserve special attention.Heredity certainly plays a role. The tendency to develop depress there is evidence that this disorder may run in families.Physiology is another factor related to depression. There may be changes or imbalances in chemicals which transmit information in the brain, called neurotransmitters. Many modern antidepressant drugs attempt to increase levels of certain neurotransmitters so as to increase brain communication. While the causal relationship is unclear, it is known that antidepressant medications do relieve certain symptoms of depression.Researchers also study psychological factors. They include the complex development of one's personality and how one has learned to cope with external environmental factors, such as stress. It is frequently observed that low self-esteem and self-defeating thinking&are connected with depression. While it is not clear which is the cause and which is the effect, it is known that sufferers who are able to make corrections to their thinking patterns can show improved mood and self-esteem.Another factor causing depression is one's early experiences. Events such as the death of a parent, the divorce of the parents, neglect, chronic illness, and severe physical abuse can increase the likelihood of depression later in life.Some present experiences may also lead to depression. Job loss, financial difficulties, long periods of unemployment, the loss of a spouse or other family member, or other painful events may trigger depression. Long-term stress at home, work, or school can also be involved.It is worth noting that those living with someone suffering from depression experience increased anxiety, which adds to the possibility of their also becoming depressed.
Happiness indexAustralians were the happiest people in the world according to a survey undertaken by two market researchers. They conducted door-to-door surveys and interviews with nearly 30,000 people in 30 countries. They asked respondents how satisfied they were with their overall quality of life. Forty-six percent of Australians proclaimed to be "very happy" and expressed optimism about their future. Following them in the "very happy" group was theUSA(40 percent),Egypt(36 percent),India(34 percent) and theUKandCanada(32 percent).Hungarygot the wooden spoon, finishing bottom of the happiness chart. Thirty-five percent of its citizens said they were either "disappointed" or "very unhappy", followed by Russians at 30 percent.The research demonstrated that money and age were key determinants in how happy people are. Although the study did not indicate money could buy happiness, it did reveal a link between a lack of money and unhappiness. Less happy populations were found among lower-income groups or the unemployed.The study also suggested that on the whole, the older we become, the less happy we are. Globally, teenagers are the happiest people. The age group with the lowest levels of happiness was 50-59. Only 16 percent of those in their 50s said they were very happy.The factors that make us happy include good health, financial security and a happy marriage. Material comforts such as cars, clothes and gadgets ranked comparatively low.
Further listening and speaking
Big John is coming!A bar owner in the Old West just hired a timid bartender. The owner of the establishment was giving his new employee some instructions on running the place. He told the timid man, "If you ever hear that Big John is coming to town, drop everything and run for the hills! He's the biggest, nastiest outlaw who's ever lived!"A few weeks passed uneventfully. But one afternoon, a local cowhand came running through town yelling, "Big John is coming to town! Run for your lives!"When the bartender left the bar to start running, he was knocked to the ground by several townspeople rushing out of town. As he was picking himself up, he saw a large man, almost seven feet tall. He was muscular, and was growling as he approached the bar.He stepped up to the door, ordered the poor bartender inside, and demanded, "I want a beer NOW!"And with one strike of his heavy fist, he split the bar in half. The bartender nervously handed the big man a beer, hands shaking. He took the beer, bit the top of the bottle off, and downed the beer in one gulp.As the terrified bartender hid behind the bar, the big man got up to leave. "Do you want another beer?" the bartender asked in a trembling voice."Dang it, I don't have time!" the big man yelled. "I got to get out of town! Didn't you hear Big John is coming?"
Reason and emotionEmotion is sometimes regarded as the opposite of reason, as is suggested by phrases such as "appeal to emotions rather than reason" and "don't let your emotions take over". Emotional reactions sometimes produce consequences or thoughts which people may later reg but during an emotional state, they cannot control themselves. Thus, it is generally believed that one of the most distinctive facts about human beings is the contradiction between emotion and reason.However, recent empirical studies do not suggest that there is a clear distinction between reason and emotion. Indeed, anger or fear can often be thought of as an instinctive response to observed facts. The human mind possesses many possible reactions to the external world. Those reactions can lie on a continuum, with some of them involving the extreme of pure intellectual logic, which is often called "cold", and others involving the extreme of pure emotion not related to any logical argument, which is called "the heat of passion". The relation between logic and emotion merits careful study. Passion, emotion, or feeling can reinforce an argument, even one based primarily on reason. This is especially true in religion or ideology, which frequently demands an all-or-nothing rejection or acceptance. In such areas of thought, human beings have to adopt a comprehensive view partly backed by empirical argument and partly by feeling and passion. Moreover, several researchers have suggested that typically there is no "pure" that is, no thought is based "purely" on intellectual logic or "purely" on emotion&most decisions are founded on a mixture of both.&
Every cloud has a silver liningPat:& You look depressed. Are you feeling blue? I've come to cheer you up.Ted:& But there's nothing that can cheer me up. I'm down in the dumps. Life's miserable.Pat:&& You have to try to get your mind off things.Ted:&& But I can't. I just feel there's too much pressure on me sometimes!Pat:&& You can't let things get you down. Learn to relax and stop worrying all the time. What's your problem anyway?Ted:&& I failed my last exam, and another exam is coming. What can I do?Pat:&& If I were you, I'd start working hard. If you work hard for a long time, you're bound to get better grades. You see, "no pain, no gain."Ted:&& It's easier said than done. I get bored after reading only for 15 minutes.&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&& &&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&Pat:&& You have to learn some self-discipline.Ted:&& Worse than that! If I work for half an hour, I get a headache. Then I start to worry about passing the next exam.Pat:&& It's all in your mind. Stay cheerful and everything will soon be OK.Ted:&& But how can I stay cheerful all the time?Pat:&& Try to look on the bright side of things.Ted:&& But what if there isn't a bright side?Pat:&& You know the saying: Every cloud has a silver lining. It means there're always two sides of everything&both the dark and bright sides. So, try to identify your strengths and then bring them into full play.Ted:&& Oh no! Your old sayings are making me even more depressed.&
Basic listening practice1. W: Did you hear that Helen got that modeling job? Her dream was coming true.M: Wow, that's great! All that walking practice really paid off. And for once she won't be complaining about being so tall.Q: Why did Helen get the modeling job?2. M: Julia, come and see the Miss America contest on TV. All those beautiful women are walking around in bathing suits, so the judges can decide who has the best figure.W: Bah! That's the worst kind of exploitation. They are treating women like toys for people to enjoy. I would never take part in this kind of contest.Q: What do the speakers think about the beauty contest?3. W: What shall I do? I'm fat. I want to be slim and beautiful, but I'm fat. I've tried all the new diet&high carb, low carb&but nothing works.M: Those diets are just fads, popular for a while and then forgotten. Just follow the usual diet with fruits, vegetables, fish, water, and get plenty of exercise. Before long you'll see results.Q: What has the woman tried?4. W1: I think Lily is really attractive. She's half Spanish and has this really sultry look about her.W2: That explains why she tans so well. I've always been jealous of her skin color in the summer.Q:&& Which of the following is true of Lily?5. M: Trust me. It was right there on the Internet: "Plastic surgery increasing at a faster rate among men". Apparently more and more men are trying to improve their appearance.W: I saw it too on the news. Facelifts, nose jobs, and Botox to hide wrinkles are now very popular with men. They say it's for business reasons, but we know it's vanity.Q: What does the woman think the real reason is for men to have plastic surgery?
Listening in
How do women use cosmetics?Susan:&& Rebecca, nice to run into you here. Shopping for anything special?Rebecca: Yes, Susan, makeup. You know, there's a new boy in my law class and I want to make an impression on him.Susan:&&& I'm the one who wears makeup, not you. I've always thought you looked very attractive without makeup&you know, sort of natural.Rebecca: Well, thanks, Susan, but most girls wear makeup these days and I want to compete.Susan:&&&& Maybe I can help. My suggestion is that you start with a good makeup base. Look here, this one is made from natural products from theDead Sea, so it won't irritate your skin.Rebecca: OK. A bit expensive, but I guess I'm worth it. What's next?Susan:&&&& You want to give a good overall impression. You have beautiful eyes, so you should highlight them with some mascara to make your eyelashes look fuller and thicker.Rebecca: I'll buy this one&also made from natural products. How about eyeliner too?Susan:&& Yes, but you want a subtle color to bring out the green in your eyes... without looking like a clown!Rebecca: That's what I want... to make other girls into green-eyed monsters. How does this one look?&Susan:&&&& Good choice. Now if we can add a bit of color to your cheeks, you will be the classiest of the class.Rebecca: Thanks! But you haven't said anything about lipstick. I'll need a tube of that, too.Susan:&&&& This color will perfectly complement to the rest of your makeup. You look elegant and classy.
To be a clever beautyGood afternoon, ladies and gentlemen. I hope you'll find it interesting learning how to be fashionable without spending too much money. Sure, some famous stars always look stylish. They have unlimited clothing budgets that put the latest looks at their fingertips! But you can also look amazing without spending lots of money on your wardrobe. Simply try the following suggestions on for size.First, mak that is, you should buy winter coats, leather jackets, bathing suits, and summer dresses at the end of the season. You'll get major discounts as you stock up for the next year.If you want clothes to wear right now, go to discount stores. They may not be the place to buy an expensive evening dress, but they're perfect for buying things like T-shirts.There is yet another cheap way to buy stylish clothes. Many department stores have store brands, which offer current styles but are much cheaper than big-name brands.To save money, an important principle is not to buy "outfits". With the exception of suits, interchangeable pieces are more affordable.Wear-with-anything pieces are always a good buy. For example, you can almost always wear a pair of black trousers and you can wear them several times a week, paired with different accessories. Accessories such as nice shoes and fashionable bags make even the simplest outfit look polished.Finally, a great haircut always helps. When your hair looks fabulous, you look more stylish and fashionable.
Beauty contestsA beauty contest, or beauty pageant, is based mainly, though not only, on the physical beauty of the contestants. But often it also includes personality, talent demonstration, and question responses as criteria of judgment.The origin of modern beauty pageants can be traced to the Miss America Pageant, which was first held inAtlantic Cityin 1921. This pageant eventually included preliminary eliminations, an evening gown competition, musical variety shows, and judging by the panel. Still, the contests were at first shunned by middle-class society. Pageants did not become respectable until World War II, when beauty queens were recruited to sell bonds and to entertain the troops. The Miss America Pageant is the largest provider of college scholarships for women in the world.Many trade associations have multi-level beauty contests which select queens as ceremonial representatives. The queens may appear at official receptions to present awards, to represent the industry in festivals, to present consumer information to the public, or even to lobby for the industry. For example the South Carolina Watermelon Queen may do a tour of supermarkets to do tastings of different varieties of watermelons. With the increasing popularity of beauty contests, winners have become role models for many young girls. They aspire to become a beauty queen one day.However, there are also criticisms of beauty contests. Although some contests are not based purely on physical appearance, "unattractive" contestants are unlikely to win, no matter how talented, intelligent, kind-hearted and educated they are. In addition, since "beauty" in these pageants is usually represented by unusually thin women, some people question this concept of beauty. Worse still, if a pageant violates the religious or cultural practices of a country, it may cause protests and demonstrations.
A friendly stylistStylist:&& Morning, sir. This chair, please. What can I do for you?Nick:&&& A simple haircut&short on the back and sides.Stylist: Very good. I can, of course, do something more fashionable for only $60.Nick:&&& Sixty dollars! That's highway robbery&twice what I ordinarily pay.Stylist:& Perhaps, sir. But your haircuts haven't been in harmony with your character. Your hair is at war with your soul.Nick:&&& I've never heard of such a thing.Stylist:&& I'm an expert at matching hairstyles to personalities, if I may say. B you're suffering a "disjunction".Nick:&&& A disjunction? What the devil is a disjunction?Stylist:&& Your hair does not match you.Nick:& This is utter nonsense. However, I'd like to hear how you'd solve this so-called problem.Stylist: Your character is artistic, imaginative. But your hair is dull. I can correct that imbalance in seconds.&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&& &Nick:&&& OK, let me see what you can do about the... uh... disjunction, as you call it.Stylist: We're going to use scissors to create peaks, which we'll keep in place with a liberal helping of gel... This tuft in the back we'll braid into a pigtail. Now, it's the new you!Nick:&&& I love it. It's just like me: imaginative and artistic. Now what are you doing? What's wrong?Stylist:&& Something's preventing your hairstyle from being a true fashion statement.Nick:&&& For heaven's sake, tell me what's missing.Stylist: Streaks. By putting in a few yellow streaks in your hair, it will become a work of art. Streaking will cost you more, but...Nick:&&& Do it. Forget the cost. But, by the way, what is the total getting to be? How much am I paying to avoid the disjunction?Stylist:& That's... $135. Sir? Sir, are you all right? Oh, he fainted.
Is it true beauty?John:& There goes Camilla. She looks gorgeous today, doesn't she? Her skin is as smooth as a baby's bottom. Her lips are a perfect Cupid's bow. She must have dozens of admirers.Becky:& I wonder what she looks like without all that makeup. She must put it on with a spoon. It's like a mask. I don't understand what men find so attractive about her.John:& Do I detect a hint of jealousy?Becky:& She has nothing for me to be jealous about.John:& I'll bet you believe in those sayings like, "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder."Becky:& True beauty comes from within. Natural materials should be enough to bring it out.John:& But do you always stick to those rules? I remember seeing you in the kitchen with some green substance smeared all over your face.Becky:& They were cucumbers. They're natural healers of the skin. Haven't you heard people say on TV that they soften the skin, wipe out the roughness, and build strength and resilience?John:& Yeah, yeah, yeah! They wipe out lines and age signs. Blah, blah, blah! See, I can even recite that advertisement.Becky:& You've learned a lot, haven't you?John:& Since you can keep your skin so young-looking and maintain your figure so well, you might as well write a book on beauty secrets.Becky:& Don't pull my leg. Anyway, you'd do well to try the cucumber treatment on yourself. Put some cucumber slices on your head. At least they'll keep that bald spot from shining so brightly.&
Basic listening practice1. W: Did you read the paper today? There was an earthquake inBrazil.M: Yes, but it only measured 3.5 on the Richter scale. I don't think there would be any casualties.Q: What is the man's opinion of the result of the earthquake?2. W: I'm a bit worried about Susan traveling to southernIndia. It's the rainy season there, and there may be landslides.M: Susan can take care of herself. She won't go anywhere too risky. Besides, you can always e-mail her if it makes you feel better.Q: What is Susan doing?3. M: Hi, I thought you were on holiday inAsia! Back already?W: We never got there! Our travel agent canceled our arrangements because the whole region is flooded. We were so disappointed. We won't get another chance to go this year.Q: Which of the following statement is true about the woman?4. M: Our flight toTokyowas delayed by 12 hours. Can you believe it? A typhoon hit the east coast and it was chaos.W: I saw it on the news. The flooding and damage were terrible. I don't think anyone was hurt though.Q: What is the consequence of the typhoon?5. W: Did you see that program last night about volcanoes? It was fascinating!M: Yes, the weird thing is the molten lava looks so beautiful, yet it's so destructive. And I couldn't believe how far the ash can travel. I'm glad we don't have any volcanoes here!Q: What is the man's description of lava?
Listening in
Is tsunami delicious?Son:&&& Hi, mom, what are we having for dinner tonight?Mother:&& I haven't started yet. Why, have you any requests?Son:&&& How about tsunami for a change&I don't know what it is, but I heard some Japanese people using the word on the bus the other day. Sounds like a food. Maybe it's similar to sushi.Mother:&& Nonsense. Tsunami comes from Japanese words meaning harbor and wave. If we had a tsunami, it would be the other way around, young man.Son:&&&&& Why? What is it?Mother:&& I mean it could swallow you up. A tsunami is an enormous series of very powerful waves.Son:&& Could we surf on them? That would be cool!Mother:&& They're not cool. They are very destructive. When they pound the shores of populated areas, they cause tremendous damage. They destroy everything in their path.&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&& &Son:&& What causes them?Mother:&& I think they are caused by some sort of shock, like an earthquake, volcano, or landslide that starts a chain reaction in the ocean.Son:&&&&& Do the waves get so big that they crush buildings?Mother:& Easily. They can be dozens of meters high. They toss cars and houses around as though they were children's toys.Son:&&& Can you see them coming?Mother:&& You can see them at quite a distance. But there's not much you can do. In the open ocean they move at up to 800 kilometers per hour, but when it reaches the shore, the system slows down and the waves get bigger.Son:&& How big?Mother:&& They can reach 30 meters, big enough to finish you off in one gulp.
Drought in South AfricaSouth Africais heading for a disaster in the new year because of a drought. The water levels at some dams have dropped to under 20 percent while the ground water table has dropped by as much as 30 meters.Emergency measures have been introduced to ensure that millions of people have enough water to survive. In rural areas without dams, the government has to send water by truck and sink new, deeper wells to provide drinking water. Tanked water is provided to about 3.5 million South Africans. People here normally use barely 30 liters a day, and it is impossible to further limit their usage. That is why agricultural use has to be restricted.More than 100,000 farm workers might lose their jobs if it does not rain soon. Water restrictions, which have a negative influence on the agricultural sector in particular, have already been imposed on several districts. Farmers have been forced to stop irrigating their crops to ensure that enough water is available for domestic use. Maize farmers in the eastern parts of the country have almost no hope of planting their crops in time. They need rain within the next two weeks to be able to start planting. Where farmers did sow, the seedlings have been scorched under the sun.An estimated 40,000 head of livestock have died because of the dry spell. Thousands of stock farmers will have to slaughter their livestock on a large scale because there is no grass left. The parts suffering the most are rural areas without dams. If it does not rain, people there will face a huge crisis.
Natural disastersA natural disaster is the consequence of a hazardous event, occurring when human activities are affected by adverse natural phenomena such as flood, drought, hailstorm, heat wave, forest fire, hurricane, typhoon, tornado, tsunami, landslide and mudslide, or volcanic eruption. The scale of the resulting deaths or property damage depends on the human ability to resist the disasters.Sometimes two seemingly different disasters may be related to each other. For example, an undersea earthquake may result in a tsunami. While there is a long dry spell in one area, there may be a great flood in another.A drought is a long-lasting weather pattern consisting of dry conditions with very little or no precipitation. During this period, food and water supplies can run low, and other conditions, such as famine, can occur. Droughts can last for several years and are particularly damaging in areas in which the residents depend on agriculture for survival.A flood follows too much rain or water in a location, and could be the result of many different conditions. Floods can be caused by heavy rainfall from a storm, including thunderstorms, rapid melting of large amounts of snow, or rivers which swell from too much precipitation upstream, causing widespread damage to areas downstream. Another possible cause of floods is the bursting of man-made dams.
Typhoon hits Guangdong Province.A typhoon lashed southernChinaon Thursday with strong winds and heavy rain, killing two people.The typhoon hit the coastal areas ofGuangdongProvinceat 1:45 p.m. on Thursday, with wind speeds up to 126 kilometers per hour. It came as the nation was still fighting its worst flooding in 10 years, which is expected to continue as the typhoon season gains pace.TheGuangdongprovincial flood-control headquarters said the typhoon had caused economic losses of more than two billion Yuan in the province, damaging more than 2,000 houses.The strong winds, up to 35 meters a second, blew down many trees and billboards in the urban areas, paralyzing local traffic. Electricity, telecommunications and water services were cut in some areas. A local resident said he saw the raincoats of many pedestrians lifted by the gale, while many umbrellas were blown away. Two people were killed by the storm in the western part of the province.Before this typhoon, the province had already been plagued by torrential rains and subsequent flooding, which has killed hundreds of people over the past several weeks and caused dozens of rivers and lakes across the region to reach danger levels.Meteorologists forecast that six to eight major typhoons are expected in the coming months and told people to avoid unnecessary trips outdoors until the all-clear is given.To prepare for the typhoons, the government issued emergency notices to its subordinate departments, urging them to take effective measures to protect people's lives and try to keep economic losses to aminimum. Priorities have been given to protect agriculture, reservoirs, dams, and coastal and river dikes in the flood-hit cities. More than 30,000 boats were required to return to ports to avoid the disaster while over 7,000 fishermen were evacuated to safety areas. At least 26 flights have been canceled at the airport.
Task 3A blizzard is a severe weather condition characterized by low temperatures and strong winds, greater than 35 miles per hour, bearing a great amount of snow.Because the factors for classifying winter storms are complex, there are many different definitions of what a blizzard truly is. But it is generally agreed that in order to be classified as a blizzard, as opposed to merely a winter storm, the weather must meet several conditions. The storm must decrease visibility to a quarter of a mile for three hours running, include snow or ice as precipitation, and have wind speeds of at least 32 miles per hour, which means force seven or more on the wind scale.Another standard, according to Environment Canada, is that the winter storm must have winds of 40 kilometers per hour or more, plenty of snow, visibility less than one kilometer, a temperature of less than minus 25 degrees Celsius, and all of these conditions must last for four hours or more, before the storm can properly be called a blizzard.When all of these conditions continue after snow has stopped falling, the storm is referred to as a ground blizzard.An extreme form of blizzard is a whiteout, when the downdrafts, together with snowfall, become so severe that it is impossible to distinguish the ground from the air. People caught in a whiteout can quickly become disoriented, losing their sense of up and down as well as their sense of direction. Severe blizzards can also occur along with arctic cyclones.&
Basic listening practice 1. M: Do you see yourself as a leader or more of a team player?W: Well, it depends on the circumstances. I usually enjoy working as part of a team and helping everyone work together. But if the leadership is weak, I'm not afraid to take over in order to achieve the goal at hand.Q: What does the woman want to be?2. W: Good morning, I have an appointment with Mr. Davies at 11 o'clock.M: Yes, he left a message for you saying he's terribly 、sorry but he's stuck in traffic and is running 15 minutes late. Please take a seat and he'll be here as soon as possible. Would you like tea or coffee?Q: Where is the conversation probably taking place?3. W: You don't look happy. Didn't you get that promotion?M: No, they brought in some new guy. I'm not going to hang around for much longer, I can assure you.Q: Why is the man unhappy?4. W: Mr. Jones is a self-made millionaire, and I'm honored to have worked for him for the past 30 years as his accountant.M: He must be pleased to have a loyal and faithful employee like you.Q: What is true of the woman?5. M: Jane, we're considering you for the new office manager position. We've been very pleased with your work.W: Thank you very much. I've always enjoyed working here, and I would welcome an opportunity for more responsibility.Q: Which of the following is true?
Listening in
You're fired!Joan:& Come in, come in. Have a seat. Ah... uh... I want you to know this is going to hurt me more than it will hurt you.Carl:& Yes, ma'am. But I'm not quite sure what you're talking about.Joan:& You're fired. That's what I'm talking about.Carl:& I find that surprising, Miss Jackson. After all, I sold 25 percent more of our products than any other salesperson.Joan:& Look, I'm not here to argue. You're fired. Understand?Carl:& Well, I just wonder what's going to happen to the contract I've been arranging. It would b it could mean a lot to our company. And I'm the only one who knows the details.&Joan:& No one is indispensable. Just clear out your desk and that's the end of it. Do I make myself clear, Mr. Westlake?Carl:&Crystalclear, apart from one small detail.Joan:& And what is that detail?Carl:& I'm not Mr. Westlake. I'm Carl Smith.Joan:& Well then, that's a different kettle of fish, Mr. Smith. I know you've been working late almost every night and coming in on Saturdays to get work done. The company is very happy with your progress.Carl:& That's good to know. I was beginning to think that I wasn't appreciated.&Joan:& You're doing well. We have approved your first salary increase.Carl:& That's great! Thank you! I'll certainly try to live up to the trust you have demonstrated in me with this raise in pay.
Don't be a loner.Lillian:& Mr. Baxter, you have worked in the company for five years, and now you manage everything here smoothly, like a clock. Could you tell us the secrets of your successful career?Baxter:& Just as the golden rule of real estate is "location, location, location", the golden rule of work is "relationships, relationships, relationships". Unfortunately, many workers focus so hard on the job at hand that they never develop useful relationships with people in other parts of their organization. Worse, when they do interact with colleagues in other departments, they may not treat them with respect.Lillian:& Could you give me more details?Baxter:& Let's take Wendy as an example. She switched jobs several months ago in the company. In her first position, as a marketing manager, she frequently found herself in conflict with the financial department over her staff's expenses. Her argument for more funds usually ended in vain. Then in her new job as training administrator, she wanted to launch an on-the-job training project. She needed the financial department to support her request for a budget. How did she convince them this time? Although the financial department's offices were located in another city, Wendy decided to visit them in their offices and try to establish closer relationships. She believed she must first of all understand their mission and their own training needs. Then she found an ally in the company's chief financial officer, who saw how her group could help develop his staff. Thus the two forged a long-term alliance, which led to a training program so successful that it has since been picked up by the company's offices inGermanyandJapan. Winning allies throughout your organization has an additional benefit. These days, it's far too risky to expect your work to speak for itself. Having allies who speak well of you increases your reputation with the top management.
Working from homeWith the invention of modern laptops and the advances in broadband Internet access and communication software, there is no longer a need to work in the office. More and more people are starting to work from home. Opinions on this new trend vary as there are both pros and cons of working from home.The disadvantages are obvious. To begin with, you may feel lonely at home since you lack social interaction and face-to-face communication with colleagues. Besides, there are many distractions at home: Your wife and kids may knock on your door or call you any time. You yourself may want to stop and have a cup of coffee or find something to eat from time to time. Without the office discipline, you may even be tempted to play computer games. What's more, it may be very monotonous if you have to stay at home all day long.&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&& &On the other hand, many people think the pros of working at home outweigh the cons. The most obvious benefit is flexibility. You don't have to wake up to an alarm clock early in the morning, and you can work any time you want and in any way you want. For those who are more productive at night, working from home must be a paradise. Moreover, without a boss supervising you over your shoulder, you feel less stress. Like to work in pajamas?& Fine. Like to listen to heavy metal at the highest volume while you are designing? Go for it. Also, people that work in the home environment value immensely the extra time they can spend with their loved ones. As a mom or dad, you will be in a much better position to educate and take care of your children.
A small misstep can become a big career trapGeorge Adams, a market researcher at a company, finally printed his marketing report. After months of research, hundreds of surveys, and several boring drafts, his report was complete, and just in time. He was going away for the weekend. He wanted to relax because his report was a success. He carefully proofread his document and then delivered copies to all the executives on his distribution list.When he returned to his desk, he discovered his boss, the department manager, was livid. At first he did not realize he had accidentally gone over his head. Anyway, his boss had given him the distribution list in the first place. So he thought he was just following orders. But the boss was furious that she hadn't seen the final document.The boss askedAdamsto get back all the copies, but it was too late. WhenAdamsgot to the CEO's office, he was already reading the report.Adamshad felt friction with his boss before. She was overbearing and tended to find fault with his work after he'd broken his back to meet deadlines. In this instance, however, he realized he had made a serious error. His boss was extremely upset, for his mistake made her look as though she wasn't in control of her department.From the boss's point of view,Adamswas usurping her authority. The result was simple and natural:Adamsleft his job soon afterward.Adams's story illustrates a fundamental truth about the workplace: Small, seemingly innocent missteps can sometimes become a big career destroyer.
The boss is angry!Sam: Tell me: Does this place look like a nursing home?Sally: No. Why?Sam: Do I look like a male nurse?Sally: Not at all.Sam: Then why do my employees act as though this were a nursing home instead of a workplace?Sally: You're obviously upset. What's wrong? Tell me.Sam: You're right. I'm upset about a lot of things.Sally: Can you tell me what the problems are? Maybe there's something I can do.Sam: First of all I'm upset because so many staff have been showing up late for work.Sally: It's true. A lot of people have been coming in late. They probably think you don't mind. You know, the atmosphere here is pretty relaxing.Sam: Maybe it's because I hang out a lot with them outside the office.Sally: They must see you more as a buddy than a boss. It's because you're so friendly.Sam: You're right. They don't view me as an authority figure anymore. I'm afraid they don't respect me as a boss.Sally: So what are you going to do about it?Sam: I'm going to change. No more Mr. Nice Guy. I'm going to start cracking the whip.Sally: When do you want this change to take place?Sam: Starting today, I'm going to lay down the law. From now on, everyone in the company must follow regulations to the letter.Sally: I'll post a notice as soon as possible. What should it say?Sam: No more punching in late. No more clocking out early. No more calling in sick without a doctor's note.Sally: Anything else?Sam: No more personal phone calls or e-mails in company time!Sally: All right. I'll get right on it!
Basic listening practice1. W: Why do some people stay in one job for life while others switch jobs from time to time?M: Some people want a fixed routine so that they don't have to adapt to new circumstances over and over again, while others think variety is the spice of life!Q: Why do some people stick to one job for life?2. M: Cathy, you've been late for work so many times lately that I have to warn you that any repetition will result in your dismissal.W: I'm sorry. I promise to be on time from now on. Perhaps I could work later to make up for the time I've lost.Q: What does the woman say?3. M: Mrs. Brown, my time here has been frustrating for me. I have a better opportunity with another firm, and I'm taking it.W: We won't be sorry to see you leave, Richard. You've done your best to make everyone here as miserable as you are.Q: How does the woman feel about the man's leaving?4. W: Mr. Stone, I wanted to tell you in person that at the end of this month I'll be leaving the company.M: Well, Jane, we are certainly going to miss you here, but I wish you the best of luck.Q: What is the woman going to do?5. W: Tim, I hate to tell you this, but we're caught in a budget crunch, and we must lay you off. I'm sorry.M: I understand. I've enjoyed my time here. Don't worry about me. I'm confident I can find something else.Q: What is the man's response?
Listening in
How to avoid bankruptcy?Manager:& Adam! Have you any suggestions about how we can avoid bankruptcy?Adam:& Downsizing would certainly reduce our operating costs. You know, lean and mean, the way you have to be in today's market.Manager:& Where do you suggest we start making these staff cuts?Adam:&& The logical place to start would be in administration. They're usually overstaffed.Manager:& That's not going to go over very well with our employees. Some of them have been with the company for years.Adam:& It's a painful process, but there's no other choice. They'll just have to accept the idea.Manager:& We can give them a fairly decent severance package when they're fired.Adam:& I know. And I think that if we computerize the office, we could reduce office staff by about 20 percent just by eliminating a lot of paperwork.Manager: &OK. If we lay off 20 percent of the administrative staff, will that be enough to get the company back on its feet?Adam:&& Unfortunately not. We'll also need to make some cuts in the service department.Manager:& How can we do that and maintain the level of service that we offer our customers?Adam:&& Well, we'll have to retrain the service staff and streamline our operations, so we won't need as many people to run things smoothly.Manager:&& Well, this is tough, but I really don't think we have any other choice. If we keep losing money like this, we'll have to shut everything down.
The job-hopping feverAlthough the scarcity of employment opportunities for college graduates has shown no signs of improving, the shortage does not prevent young employees from job-hopping.The Chinese young people who graduated from college three years ago have on average changed jobs twice. According to a report by an education consulting agency, 88 percent of these changes were voluntary, with the graduates choosing to resign instead of being fired.In the Pearl River Delta, one of China's economic centers, less than 20 percent of newly recruited college graduates remained for more than a year in the first company where they had worked.Entrepreneurs are worried that the job-hopping fever among graduates will destabilize their companies and harm long-term development. To prevent constant job-hopping, some enterprises have actually started withholding their employees' gra some even hold back wages.Experts are studying the causes of this trend toward job switching. According to the report, 33 percent of the respondents changed jobs for better career prospects, 25 percent due to low salaries, and 13 percent just wanted to try new professions. Experts also analyzed the deep-rooted reasons for the frequent job changes. Enterprises usually ranked the five most desirable qualities as a sense of responsibility, professional ethics, communication skills, learning ability, and problem-solving ability. But in a university education those five qualities were sometimes listed in the reverse order.Although employers value highly a sense of responsibility and professional ethics, many inexperienced graduates made concessions by accepting a temporary position, taking it as a springboard to a better job. Today's young people are usually the only child in the family. Many of them have been brought up by doting parents, and are now bitterly disappointed at the low-paying jobs offered them.Sometimes firms have disillusioned college graduates by having no long-term development strategies. If there is neither proper planning nor training for employees, they see only a dim future.
Lay-offs can be predicted.In some cases companies inform their employees in advance that lay-offs are coming. In other cases, they come without warning: You arrive on time for work on a Friday, but you are told not to come next week. Ouch!In either case, you may be able to sense some bad signs in advance. Maybe the company has tried very hard to avoid lay- maybe it has been preparing for the worst for quite some time. If you think about the bad omens carefully, you might know as much as or even more than some of the employees in managerial positions with management responsibilities.For example, if you work in sales, you might know that quotas have not been met. If you work in field engineering, you might notice far fewer customer installations. If your company's competitors, suppliers or customers are laying off employees, it's likely your company will too, especially if economic conditions are affecting your industry.&&&&&&&& &Check the lay-off statistics from the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics. Search the Net and your local newspaper too for articles concerning lay-offs in your industry.Do things like bad sales always mean that lay-offs are coming to your company? Not necessarily. Companies have seasonal and economic sales dips all the time, and are always looking for ways to improve their performance. So, if you see only one or two bad signs, don't jump to a hasty conclusion. But if you see more, especially along the lines of earnings warnings, budget cuts, hiring freezes, restructuring, and massive lay-offs in your industry, it might just be time to get your r&sum& up-to-date and start looking for a new job. Also, it might be a good idea to cancel your vacation, implement money-saving measures, and become more useful on your job. You should prepare in advance if you think you might get the axe soon.
Problems of joblessnessJoblessness can lead to a series of problems, and it is not easy to solve them.First of all, being jobless often means lacking social contact with fellow employees, and lacking a purpose for many hours of the day. Also, it obviously affects your ability to pay bills and to purchase the necessities of life.Lack of this ability is especially serious for those with family obligations, debts, or medical costs, and it is especially true in a country like theUnited States, where the availability of medical insurance is often linked to holding a job.Some maintain that jobless people can rely on unemployment insurance, but this is not true. Unemployment insurance in theU.S.typically does not even replace 50 percent of the income one receives on the job, and one cannot receive it forever. Therefore, the unemployed often end up tapping welfare programs such as Food Stamps or accumulating formal debt to banks or informal debt to friends and relatives.Some hold that low-income jobs provide a solution to joblessness, but this is not true either. Since it is difficult or even impossible to get unemployment insurance benefits without having worked in the past, job-seekers have to accept low-income jobs. Thus, unemployment insurance keeps a ready supply of low-paid workers. To make things worse, many employers take advantage of this. When they resort to such management techniques as low wages and benefits, as well as few chances for advancement, they bear the unemployment insurance option in mind.Under increasing unemployment pressure, jobless people suffer from a variety of financial, psychological and social problems. Increased unemployment encourages bad health and raises in both crime and suicide rates.
Before the cutbackBarbara:&& I've really got to think about my future. You've heard of the cutbacks the management is making, right?Alan:&& Oh, yes. I've heard it. But you haven't anything to worry about.Barbara:&& Around here you never know from one day to the next whether you can keep your job.Alan:&& Come on, they won't let you go. You've been here for so long. Besides, you're good at your job.Barbara:&& That may be, but I feel that I've reached the glass ceiling in this company.Alan:&& Glass ceiling? What do you mean by that?Barbara:&& I've been working here for 10 years. I haven't gotten a promotion in three years. I thought I should be vice president by now. If I were a man, I'm sure I would be vice president.Alan:&& There's no official company policy, but it's true that they don't promote women to management positions here.Barbara:&& I can see the writing on the wall. I think it's time to change jobs, and maybe even careers, if I want to get ahead.Alan:&& Change careers? That's a big jump. If you change careers, what will you do?Barbara:&& I'm doing market research here, but I studied public relations in college. I'd like to do PR for a large multinational company.Alan:&& That sounds exciting, and the pay would be better, too. Yeah, if I were you, I would keep an eye on the job postings on the Internet.Barbara:&& Thanks, I will.&
Basic listening practice
1. W: What's that? Is it a toy? Did it get chewed by a dog?M: Hey, that's my mascot! My uncle gave it to me when I was five, and it's been with me ever since. It & brought me luck in all my exams. I can't bring myself to part with it.Q: What does the man say about his mascot?
2. W: Wish me luck! I've got a job interview this afternoon. I'm really nervous.M: Stay calm, best of luck! I've got my fingers crossed for you.Q: Why does the man say he has crossed his fingers for the woman?
3. W: Oh no! Did you see that black cat walk right in front of me? That's unlucky!M: Really? I guess it depends on where you come from. In my home town it's the opposite. It's lucky to see a black cat cross your path. So no need to worry!Q: Who thinks seeing a black cat passing the path is unlucky?
4. M: Guess what I did this morning. I smashed my mirror. A great way to start the day!W: Oh no! Seven years' bad luck, isn't it?Q: What happened in the morning?
5. M: I can't believe this rain! It's been pouring for hours! Where can I dry my umbrella?W: Not in here please! It's unlucky to open an umbrella indoors. You can put it on the porch.Q: Where does the woman ask the man to dry his umbrella?
Listening in
Task 1W: My brother is going to pick up some tickets for the David Copperfield show. You interested in coming with us?M: I don't know. I've seen card tricks before and rabbits from hats. I even do tricks myself&watch me change this coin into an ice cream cone.W: Very funny. David Copperfield is the world's greatest magician. He's certainly worth a look.M: Actually, I have seen him on television. He pulls off some pretty amazing stunts. I wish I knew how he performed his tricks. Then I could also make a person float in the air. I could pull a rabbit out of my hat. I could escape from a straitjacket and handcuffs&all underwater. And I could saw a woman in half.W: A magician never tells his secrets. David attempts the impossible and no one has any idea how he does it. I saw him on TV when he walked through theGreat Wall of China.M: How could he do that?W: I have no idea, but I know what I saw. He entered a canvas shelter on one side of the wall, and came out of a canvas shelter on the other side.M: Yes, but was he always in full view of the camera, or did they cut to a commercial or something else?W: Not only was the camera running all the time, but he was hooked up to a heart monitor, and you could track his progress as he moved through the...
阅读(5997)|
人人移动客户端下载}

我要回帖

更多关于 上古卷轴5福利性夜母 的文章

更多推荐

版权声明:文章内容来源于网络,版权归原作者所有,如有侵权请点击这里与我们联系,我们将及时删除。

点击添加站长微信